The Memorial Day holiday a time to honor those who serve our country. It is also the unofficial start of the summer season. This year AAA is reporting there will be 37.2 million travelers journeying at least 50 miles from home. Of these travelers, 89% will go by car. Suffering from auto accident related injuries is no way to spend the holiday. We’ve gathered together some tips to help you avoid auto accidents:
- Always Buckle Up – May 18th thru May 31st is National Click It or Ticket Enforcement, don’t ruin your holiday with a ticket or worse.
- Check Your Tires – properly inflated tires can help with tire efficiency and fuel economy which is especially important if the air conditioner if running the entire trip. Don’t forget to check your spare.
- Pack Emergency Kit – create your own, get one from AAA or purchase one from your favorite retailer.
- Skip the Storms – watch the weather and when possible avoid traveling during bad weather.
- Plan Rest Stops – don’t let driver fatigue ruining the trip, include in your travel itinerary, rest stops. Pick interesting places to explore.
- Always Drive Sober – this includes not riding with someone who has been drinking. Since 2012, 10,000 people have died from alcohol-related accidents, this is not a club that you want to join.
- Don’t Get Distracted – give multi-tasking a break and give your full focus to driving you and passengers safely to your destination.
These are our tips, what are yours?
Happy Memorial Day from David A. Axelrod & Associates
Copyright: / 123RF Stock Photo