Patients undergoing surgery are particularly vulnerable to medical mistakes. Healthcare providers must exercise appropriate care before, during, and after surgeries. When they fail to do so, surgical injuries may result. Patients suffering from surgical injuries may seek compensation from the healthcare providers via medical malpractice claims. David A. Axelrod & Associates fights for patients who have endured surgical injuries due to medical malpractice.
Causes of Surgical Injuries
There are many ways in which surgeries can go wrong – before, during, or after the surgical procedure. Examples include:
- When a surgeon operates in the wrong area of the body
- When a surgeon removes the wrong body part, such as removing the left kidney when he was supposed to remove the right kidney
- When a surgical instrument such as a sponge or scalpel is left inside of the body
- When a surgeon performs the correct surgery but needlessly injures another body part or organ in the course of that surgery
- When a doctor makes the wrong diagnosis and a needless surgery occurs
- When a doctor fails to warn a patient of the risks of surgery and the patient is injured by one of those risks
Succeeding in Surgical Injury Cases
In order to succeed in a medical malpractice action for surgical injuries, the injured plaintiff must prove that the doctor or hospital failed to exercise the required level of professional care in rendering medical services. This failure may manifest by way of an affirmative mistake – operating in the wrong place, for instance – or by way of their failure to take a necessary precaution. The patient must then prove that their injury would not have occurred without the doctor or hospital’s error.
Medical malpractice cases involving surgical injuries almost always require that experts be consulted to verify that the doctor or hospital failed to render the appropriate care, and that this failure led to the patient’s injury. David A. Axelrod & Associates can find the experts that you need to make your surgical injury lawsuit a success.
David A. Axelrod & Associates: Proven Results in Surgical Injury Cases
David A. Axelrod & Associates has successfully represented clients involving surgical injuries. David A. Axelrod & Associates won a jury verdict of $1.5 million against a hospital and two doctors when they performed surgery to remove a 79-year-old patient’s gall bladder despite evidence of existing heart failure, ultimately costing the patient his life.